Tips on How to Choose the Best Criminal Defense Lawyer in Los AngelesDefending yourself against criminal charges is a complicated and unpredictable process, which is why the choice of a criminal defense attorney will be a deciding factor in your case. Finding the right attorney for your unique situation can be quite time-consuming and anxiety-inducing. That’s why we have prepared a list of tips on how to choose the best Los Angeles criminal defense lawyer to help you understand what to look for in an attorney.
- Your criminal defense attorney should be responsive Communication between an attorney and client is key to success in criminal defense cases. For this reason, you need to find a criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles who responds quickly.You can check how responsive your prospective attorney is by seeing how quickly they return your phone call and whether they are ready to arrange a meeting within 24 hours of your call.
- Your attorney should practice criminal law and have experience in handling cases similar to yours
This may seem obvious, but it’s still worth mentioning. When looking for a Los Angeles criminal defense attorney, you need to make sure that the lawyer:
- Practices criminal law in California;
- Serves your area; and
- Has extensive experience in handling cases similar to yours.
- Violent crimes
- Sex crimes
- Drug crimes
- Your attorney should have experience in your local courts Criminal defense attorneys establish connections and relationships with local judges, prosecutors, and law enforcement. Those connections can have a major impact on the outcome of a client’s case. The best criminal defense attorney knows local judges and prosecutors and understands how they think to help clients create a winning strategy. Our Los Angeles criminal defense lawyers at The Law Offices of David S. Chesley are respected by local law enforcement, judges, and prosecutors and have a solid reputation for our ability to provide clients with effective legal representation.
- Your attorney should have a transparent fee structure Respectable and reliable law firms have a transparent fee structure and will never overcharge you for their legal services. When you hire the best Los Angeles criminal defense attorney, you will not have to worry about unreasonable attorney fees or hidden costs. A knowledgeable attorney will be able to estimate the total cost of your legal representation after learning the details about your case.
- You should be comfortable with your Los Angeles criminal defense attorney
Last but not least, you should be personally comfortable with your attorney to achieve a favorable outcome in your case. An effective attorney-client relationship is always based on mutual trust and honesty. A skilled criminal defense lawyer will always strive to maintain continuous communication with his clients to ensure the best legal representation for the clients.
Ask yourself these questions to find out how comfortable you are with your attorney:
- Can I openly discuss all the details of my case with my attorney?
- Do I trust my freedom to my attorney?
- Is my attorney willing to do whatever it takes to defend me?
- Is my attorney compassionate and a good listener?
What Questions Should I Ask My Los Angeles Criminal Defense Lawyer?If you have narrowed down the list of potential criminal defense attorneys, the next step is interviewing your prospective lawyer. It is essential to conduct an interview to learn more about the lawyer’s background, experience, fee structure and ensure that you are hiring the right attorney for your specific case. Ask your Los Angeles criminal defense attorney the following questions:
- Do you practice criminal law in Los Angeles and California?
- How long have you practiced criminal law in Los Angeles?
- Have you ever represented clients who faced the charges I’m facing?
- How many similar cases have you won?
- How many years of courtroom experience do you have?
- Do you have any established connections and relationships with local judges and prosecutors?
- How often do you take criminal cases to trial?
- How would you handle my case if I hired you?
- Should I take my case to trial?
- Does it make sense to plead guilty in my case?
- What are the potential defense strategies in my case?
- Can you identify weaknesses in the prosecutor’s case?
- Who will work on my case, you or other attorneys in your law firm?
- How often will we communicate?
- How long do you need to return my calls or respond to my emails?
- What is your fee structure? Do you charge per hour or have a fixed rate?
- Do I need to pay anything upfront?
- Can you estimate how much you would charge me if I hired you?
Call Us Today to Speak with a Criminal Defense Lawyer in Los AngelesOur Los Angeles criminal defense lawyers at The Law Offices of David S. Chesley are prepared to answer all of your questions during a free consultation to help you decide how to proceed with your case. Schedule a free case review by calling 800-755-5174 or visiting our contact us page.